St Ann’s Saturday Afternoon Hikes 2017-18
The Saturday Afternoon Hiking Program. This initiative is sponsored by the St. Ann’s Bay Health Group. We welcome community participants, their friends and guests to our area. If you have a hike you’d like to see included or are willing to host a hike please contact Mary Ann Wilson (902-929-2472). Generally hikes begin at 1:00 pm and range from 1½–2½ hours to complete. As snow accumulates, we switch from hiking footwear to snowshoes. Poles, water, snack and appropriate outdoor wear are always recommended. Our goal is to combine physical exercise, in beautiful local settings with friendly socializing. All hikes are guided.
Please note / reminder: That these hikes often start on or pass over private property. All of our hikes are prearranged with owner approval granted in advance and with the owner(s) frequently acting as guides/hosts. It is incumbent upon all involved to help keep these guidelines followed – spreading-the-word asking that the private nature of these hikes be respected. These hikes and the trails that they take place on are open to the public ONLY on the dates advertised
Saturday Community Hikes
HELD – March 3, 2018—Brigitta and Don guide capable hikers up to the Spinnegan summit (the highest point on the North Shore). Assemble at the lower garage at #43610 Cabot Trail, Breton Cove. All participants must be ready to begin by 11:00 am. Please come prepared with a snack, water, pole(s), snowshoes and adequate outerwear for possible wind/cold at higher elevations.
Mar 10—Combined lunch-and-hike for Victoria County WINTERFEST celebrations. Lunch served at noon at the St. Ann’s Bay Tea Room (monetary donations welcomed). The hike of the Red Island Trail will begin at 1:00 pm. This wooded trail passes along the Barrachois River, MacDonald Pond and St. Ann’s Bay. An easy-going time for hikers. Snowshoes?
Mar 17—A forest hike to the Old Settlement in Rear Little River. Start time 1:00 pm. Meet at the first house (abandoned) on the right on Rear Little River Road, just in from the Cabot Trail. Snowshoes probably needed in the woods. Water/pole(s).
Mar 24—Guided hike to Little Falls, North River Provincial Park at the end of the Oregon Road. Start time 1:00 pm. Snowshoes/pole(s) likely required.
Mar 31—Last organized hike for the season—will follow the scenic ocean-view mountain trails at Jitka Zgola’s. Meet by 1:00 pm at #42164 Cabot Trail Hwy. in north Wreck Cove. Some demanding verticals but worth it. Poles/water/snowshoes(?)
Feb 3rd, 2018—Guided hike with Anne-Claude Pepin along home trails in Skir Dhu. Meet by 1:00 pm at #43244 Cabot Trail, Skir Dhu. Poles/water/snowshoes.
Feb 10—Carmel and John Gallant host today’s hike on their property at the end of Rear Munroe Point Rd. Meet by 1:00 pm at #50402 R. Munroe Point Rd. (in approx. 2 km from the Cabot Trail, only home on this road). Poles/water/snowshoes or skis.
Feb 17—Guided hike following what remains of the Old Cabot Trail, Rear Barrachois (this would have been the original link to the shore). Meet by 1:00 pm at the metal bridge (swimming hole site) in Rear Tarbotvale. Poles/water/snowshoes or skis.
Feb 24—Jim, Wanda, Don and Ellen share in guiding and hosting today’s hike along Lewis Mountain Rd. trails (the old Morrison farm property). Meet by 10:00 am (note: morning start time) at #50913 Cabot Trail. Dogs welcome. Light lunch to follow the outing. Poles/water/snowshoes or skis.
For the most up-to-date information, go to the online:
Saturday Afternoon Hikes—With winter, hikers must prepare themselves with adequate outerwear; layering is a good approach. Often a trail will lead to a site exposed to winds. As well until everything freezes up, the woods are wet so boots or water-resistant footwear is important for your comfort. There were no community hikes on Dec 23 & 30, 2017 but hikes will resume on January 6, 2018 with the following hikes planned:
HELD – Jan 6, 2018—Dennis Laffan hosts hikers/snowshoers (possibly) along his well-maintained home-trails. Moderate elevation. Water/poles. Dogs welcome. Meet by 1:00 pm at 42 Murray Road. Parking up driveway if conditions allow.
HELD – January 13, 2018—Today’s hike will enjoy the trails at Jitka Zgola’s. Meet by 1:00 pm at 42164 Cabot Trail Hwy, north Wreck Cove. Some demanding verticals but well worth it. Poles/water. Dogs welcome.
HELD – January 20, 2018—Hike to be located in the Breton Cove area. Details to be confirmed. Watch for an on-line notice by Jan 18 or call Mary Ann, 902.929.2472, to confirm details.
HELD – January 27, 2018:
PLEASE NOTE: Saturday Afternoon Morning Hike—There is a time change for this coming Saturday, 27 January 2018 community hike. The hike at the Schneider’s, 329 West Tarbot Rd, will now begin at 10:00 am (instead of the usual 1:00 pm). Please assemble at their house (a short walk-in is required) by 10:00 am. Resident dog, Doc, must have approved of any guest dogs. Refreshments to follow this snowshoe.
Aron and Ruth Schneider welcome participants to join them on their extensive trail system. Many features. “Doc”, the resident dog, must be already accepting of any guest dogs.
Held – Dec 2, 2017—The Weinbergs guide this hike along the southern side of Indian Brook through beautiful woods and past river views. Steep in some places. Poles would be helpful, water bottle as well. Meet by 1:00 pm in the parking lot at Cabot Shores Wilderness Resort, Indian Brook.
Held – Dec 9, 2017—Marcelle Lavoie continues the exploring of the Tarbotvale area, guiding hikers along the old West Tarbot Road and return through a woodland trail. Meet by 1:00 pm at #900 Tarbotvale Road.
Held – December 16, 2017—Jalal and Heike invite hikers to join them on their extensive trail system up behind their home in north Indian Brook, civic #45224. Their trails offer many features: ravine views, lake, panoramas. Poles would be an aid, water bottle as well.
Held – Nov 4, 2017—Sue Browne guides this hike through open fields and woodland trails to an isolated waterfall. Park and meet at her mailbox by 1:00 pm, #1008 Meadow Rd. Pole(s) are an aid. Dogs welcome.
Held – Nov 11, 2017—1:00 pm, Danny Robinson will guide hikers up a rugged private mountain road to a beautiful look-off and healthy hardwood forest. Meet at his home at #1691 Hwy 312, Jersey Cove by 1:00 pm. Pole(s), water, snack. Dogs welcome. (Might want a camera.)
Held – Nov.18, 2017—Marcelle Lavoie guides hikers up and around her beautiful woodland loop. Meet at her home at #900 Tarbotvale Rd (1st left before the Rear Barrachois Bridge) by 1:00 pm. Pole(s). Dogs welcome.
Held Nov. 25, 2017—The Brownsteins welcome hikers to be guided along their trail network in North River, #48738 Cabot Trail by 1:00 pm. Dogs welcome.
For the most up-to-date information, go to the online Community Event Sheet Calendar.
St Ann’s Saturday Afternoon Hikes 2016-17
Community Hikes – For more information contact Mary Ann at 929-2472. Loaner snowshoes available from the Health Centre (Nancy, 929-2745) or Baddeck Library (902-295-2055)
- Mar. 4 – 1:00 p.m. The Schneiders host a snowshoe/ski hike including a lake and waterfall. Dogs who are friendly with their dog are welcome. Meet at their home in West Tarbot, 1.5 km in from the Cabot Trail (Pottie ’s Corner). Degree of difficulty: moderate
- Mar. 11 – See Sunday, March 12 2:00 p.m., Kelly’s Lane, Englishtown, Kelly’s Lane. Snowshoes and poles. Degree of difficulty: moderate (uphill)
- Mar. 18 – 1:00 p.m. Old Settlement behind Little River
- Mar. 25 – 1:00 p.m. Lower trail system, Breton Cove:Community Hike – Saturday, March 25, 1:00 p.m. Lower trail system, Breton Cove, with Brigitta. Snowshoes and poles. Meet at 43610 Cabot Trail Road. Degree of difficulty: moderate (uphill).
- Jan. 7, 2017 – Tarbotvale, 1:00 p.m. Meet at Marcelle’s, 900 Tarbotvale Road. Snowshoes.
- Jan. 14, 2017 – Breton Cove with Paul Weinberg, 1:00 p.m. Meet and park at Alexander Smith Community Hall. Snowshoes
- Jan. 21, 2017 – Jersey Cove Road along St. Ann’s Bay shore with Marcelle. 1:00 p.m. Meet at the farthest end of the road. Showshoes likely
Saturday Afternoon Hike – January 21, 2017 1:00 p.m. Jersey Cove along the shore of St. Ann’s Bay. Meet Marcelle at the far end of Jersey Cove Road. Snowshoes likely. Level of difficulty: easy. For the most up-to-date information, go to the Community Event Sheet Calendar athttps://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=b2l73jsuoqeivrta5j47v3iul0%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/Halifax
- Jan. 28, 2017 – Murray Road with Mary Ann. 1:00 p.m. Meet at the farthest end of the road. Showshoes likely
Guided Hikes – For all hikes, wear ‘hunter orange’ and bring water and snack. Dogs on leash welcome.
- HELD – Dec. 3 – Red Island Trail with Marion Thompson, 1:00 p.m. Meet at SABUC parking lot
- HELD -Dec. 10 – French River with Marcelle Lavoie, 1:00 p.m. Meet at Cal’s Restaurant
- HELD – Dec. 17 – Wreck Cove to Surge Lake with Jitka Zgola. 100 p.m. Meet at 42164 Cabot Trail Road. Poles recommended. The turnoff to the power station is an option to shorten the hike.
• January 16, 2016
Sue Browne led hikers along wilderness woodland trails. Snowshoes were ecommended. Mee at 1008 Meadow Road
• January 23, 2016
Saturday Afternoon Hike – Trail-maker and hiker Brigitta Buehlmann will guide hikers through hidden trails in the lower Breton Cove area. Meet at 1:00 p.m. at 435610 Cabot Trail Road (adjacent to Gaelic Singers Hall). Bring snowshoes, poles, water
January 30, 2016
Arborist and tree-lover Dennis Laffan leads hikers along woodland trails rising from North River waterscape. Meet at 41 Murray Road. Snowshoes required
- Feb. 6, 2016 – Guided snowshoe hike to Little Falls in the provincial park at the end of Oregon Road, North River. Meet at road’s end.
- Feb. 13 – Thomas MacInnis and Terrie Zweep guide snowshoers along trails in Upper Little River, including a lake and a pond. Meet at 44148 Cabot Trail Road. No dogs
- Feb. 20 – Brigitta Buehlmann leads part two of Breton Cove mystery tour. Meet at 43610 Cabot Trail Road adjacent to Gaelic Singers Hall. Driveway parking. Bring poles, snowshoes, water and snack.
- Feb. 27 – Marion Thompson and John Roberts guide snowshoers along forest trails behind Indian Brook. Meet at 45808 Cabot Trail (Leather Works). Parking at the store. No dogs
For the most up-to-date information, go to the St Ann’s Community Event Sheet Calendar:
The St. Ann’s Bay Health Group wishes to thank all the hike hosts and guides for opening their favourite trails to us. Thanks to the many participants for your enthusiastic presence.
For the most up-to-date information, go to the Community Event Sheet Calendar at http://tinyurl.com/Event-Sheet