Cape Breton Roadrunners
Athlete Update – June 20th 2017
Summer!! Nice!! And lots of upcoming events
1) This Saturday is the Englishtown Mussel Fest 5K. This is one of the flattest and fastest 5K’s in our area, has gorgeous scenery, and you can stay afterwards for the Mussel Fest itself. Registration is at https://www.webscorer.com/register?raceid=103660&owner=1 This is a CBRR points series race! Remember to sign up for the Roadrunners if you haven’t (online at cbtrisports.com or at the race) As well, this is event one of the Victoria County Fitness Challenge (see number 2 and number 4 below)
2) Velo CB’s annual Mussel Fest ride around St. Ann’s bay is shortly after the Mussel Fest 5K, starting from the community hall. All levels of cyclist welcome. Details at velocapebreton.ca This is #2 of the Victoria County Fitness Challenge. The ride is 40Km and non-competitive (enjoy the scenery and all the brand new pavement with a big shoulder)
3) This Sunday we’ll be doing a fun tri to replace the missing Ingonish Triathlon. Start time is 11AM at Dalem Lake (Bras D’Or is still too cold to swim in). Be a little early to get your stuff on. Bring bug spray. Change rooms and pit toilets are there (at the provincial park accessed off St. James Road). We’ll do the run after the swim, around Dalem on the trails (the trail is almost exactly 2.5K around, we’ll do 2 loops). After the run we’ll head to our cottage 11493 Ross Ferry Rd. and will do the bike from here. We are 4Km up the road, on the right. Please park BEFORE the cottage, as we’ll be heading south along the road on bikes and don’t want to block the road past the cottage. Bring some refreshments and a snack for afterwards if you have some time to stay and chill out.
4) The annual Baddeck Dan MacDonald Canada Day 10K starts at Baddeck Yacht Club, register starting 8:30, run start 9:30. Registration link is here: https://www.webscorer.com/register?raceid=103766&owner=1 This is the 3rd and final event in the Victoria County Fitness Challenge, and a CBRR points series race. Plus, there is no better place to be for Canada150 than Baddeck. (for anyone who wants to do a multisport workout, contact me about cycling there in the morning from Ross Ferry or somewhere in between)
5) the Marion Bridge 10K is another CB Roadrunners points series event, on the 8th of July. Details at cbtrisports.com under schedules tab. This is a longtime fixture of our race series, with a challenging uphill finish and ALWAYS hot.
6) Just to put it on your radar, see below from Troy Bond about a fundraiser swim in Hfx Harbour on Sept 7th.
As usual, any questions please get in touch. See you at the races! Don’t forget Tuesday Track every Tuesday, rain-shine-hail-cold-hot (usually we get all in one day here in CB) at 6:30 PM, Atlantic St. Field.
15 Howe Court, Sydney B1P 0B2
Cape Breton Fiddlers Run 2016 Held
12th annual Fiddlers Run September 9th to 11th. The Fiddlers Run is a Boston qualifying marathon along the shore of the Sydney Harbour. If runners are not feeling up to the full marathon, we host a number of other events including a half marathon, 10K, 5K, and half marathon relay all following a similar shoreline route
Along with Sunday morning’s races, the Fiddlers Run weekend included numerous other events. The weekend kicked off Friday evening with a ceilidh at Breton Brewing, featuring a brand new Fiddlers Run themed beer and live local music.
Events continued on Saturday, starting with our sports expo promoting companies and organizations from different domains surrounding the concept of healthy living.
A complementary pasta dinner was served Saturday afternoon for runners in the same area as the sports expo. Tickets for the diner were handed out on a first-come, first-serve basis. Their annual Glowing Hearth Kids Run, a race for young runners through the Open Hearth Park took place on Saturday evening. All other races began the following morning
With over 460 registered for the run, they were very excited for what was expected to be the largest Fiddlers Run since its inception in 2005. Runners from our community took part in the highly anticipated event last Fall. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. – Nick Burke, Chair – Cape Breton Fiddlers Run
Baddeck Duathlon 2017
Date officially moved for this year’s Baddeck Duathlon to Saturday, June 17, 2017. Same format as last year. Stay tuned for more details
Cape Breton Road Runners Schedule 2017
Learn to Run 5K Training Schedule!
Fueling for the Long Haul:
Dealing with Overexcitable Bowel When Exercising:
Cabot Trail Relay
Congrats to everyone who ran in last year’s Cabot Trail Relay 2016. This fabulous event brings runners from all over Canada and abroad, and is a real feather in the cap of the CB running community. Thanks to Dave Parkinson, and all his volunteers, for all the work they do every year making this happen. You rock!
5th Victoria County Canada Day Fitness Challenge 2016 HELD
The three events to complete the challenge were the Englishtown Mussel Fest 5K on June 25th, followed by the VeloCB ride around St. Ann’s Bay afterwards, and the Dan MacDonald 10K in Baddeck on Canada Day. Organizer: Robin Stuart email@example.com or schedule at cbtrisports.com.
Remember to sign up for the CBRR for 2016 to be included in this year’s points series. This year we’re adding a couple of draw prizes to our regular end-of-season age group awards.
Swimmers – Cape Breton Crustacea:
If you’ve made it this far, you’ll be glad to know that not only are the days getting longer but you’ve already made it through the coldest days of the winter and the average temperature is just starting to notch up day by day.
The annual Long John Jaunt half Marathon is coming up Saturday Feb 18th, start/finish at Boularderie School on Ross Ferry Road. This is a great event to seriously launch your 2017 running season. Details and registration link is here: https://raceroster.com/events/2017/11386/long-john-jaunt-2017
This is a great course, and celebrates the winner of the very first Boston Marathon, who was from Boularderie Island (JJ McDermott) This is a CBRR Points Series event!
The Annual Louisbourg Slush Run/walk is Saturday, March 4th at George D. Lewis School in Louisbourg. Register 9AM, walk start 9:30, run start 10AM. This is a CBRR points series event! 10$ registration.
Remember to stay tuned to the CB Barbarians Facebook page for updates and weekly training opportunities. This time of year there is Sunday morning spinning at the YMCA (following Sunday morning swim starting next week), Tuesday Tempo run (before Tuesday evening swim), and Friday Beer Run from Breton Brewing, as well as many other ad-hoc training sessions.
Yours in good health…CM
15 Howe Court, Sydney B1P 0B2; 902-539-6852
Kellys Mountain Monthly Run
Victoria County, Cape Breton