34 Primitive Survival Skills All Survivalist Should Know
Wilderness First Aid Basics
A Guide for Preparation, Basic First Aid and Survival
- Wilderness First Aid: What Is it and Why Should You Care? Learn more about wilderness first aid and why it’s important for any scout or outdoors enthusiast to know.
- Wilderness and Remote First Aid Pocket Guide: The Red Cross provides detailed information to help those responding to an emergency in the wilderness.
- Emergency Reference Guide for Wilderness and Remote First Aid: Based on the Boy Scouts of America wilderness first aid guide, this Red Cross resource offers an extensive guide to remote wilderness first aid best practices.
Basic First Aid
Knowledge of how to properly use all of the items in your first aid box is also very important. ACLS, BLS, or PALS recertification may be beneficial to those who may have let their initial certification in these life-saving skills lapse and are in need of a refresher. Basic first aid and life support are invaluable skills in any situation, but for those out in the wild, it may be the one thing between life and death. Many national, regional, and local organizations offer basic first aid and BLS training courses to the public. These classes are perfect for outdoor enthusiasts interested in building their skills to become a safer hiker.
- Basic Wilderness First Aid: Learn about victim assessment and proper procedure for several different types of wilderness emergencies, including burns, bites, heat illness, and hypothermia.
- Wilderness First Aid Basics: This article provides first aid information for many different types of emergencies one may encounter in the wilderness.
Survival skills are also critical for those exploring the great outdoors. Knot-tying, fire- and shelter-building, fishing, and foraging are all skills that, should you be stuck in the wilderness, will help to sustain you until help has arrived. Also helpful would be any flares, fire-starters, or signaling devices that you might have in your wilderness kit. For any hiker, regardless of whether they plan to build a fire or not, these items can do double-duty as emergency signals or fire-starters. Many wilderness first aid items have multiple uses; the key is to think outside of the box and to keep cool in the event of an emergency.
- Survival and First Aid Information: This resource provides some good, basic information about first aid and survival skills that anyone out in the wilderness should know.
- Survival 101: This scare-you-straight-style guide offers first aid tips, information on survival gear, and what to do if you’re caught in an emergency out in the wilderness.
- Wilderness Survival Tips: As a collection of survival and wilderness articles, this resource provide good information for those interested in educating themselves about wilderness survival and what is needed to remain safe and healthy outdoors.
General Outdoor/Wilderness Safety
Wilderness safety is about more than just what you bring with you and your own knowledge; it’s also about making sure someone who isn’t hiking with you knows how to reach you and where you’re expected to be and when. Communicating your plans to a friend or family member can help to ensure that if something unforeseen happens, the proper authorities will have a better idea of where to find you should the need arise. We hear too many horror stories of hikers being injured or killed in accidents while out in the woods because they don’t keep safety best practices in mind or aren’t prepared. Don’t let yourself become a victim of poor planning; arm yourself with a proper knowledge of health and safety.
- Wilderness Safety from the National Parks Service: Safety is your responsibility. Educate yourself on wilderness safety and what you can do to avoid needing first aid or medical attention.
- Wilderness Safety Training: USA Today looks at why it’s important to know about wilderness safety before you head outdoors.
- Six Tips to Wilderness Safety: Check out these essential safety tips to get the most out of your hiking adventure.
- Plan and Prepare for Success: This page and the resources it features offer basic, practical information on how to best prepare and plan ahead to stay safe when you’re out on a hiking trip.
- Safety Tips from Professionals: This wilderness trekking organization offers great information for those entering the wilderness. Check out the bulleted list of safety tips for specific scenarios.
- Wilderness Safety Tips: These common-sense wilderness tips are a great foundation upon which to build your knowledge of wilderness safety.
- Four Tips on Wilderness Safety for Bringing Your Little Ones Along for the Adventure: The outdoors hold a world of wonder for children, and hiking is a great way for the family to experience nature together, but before you head out, there are a few key safety tips you should know.
Written by David Patterson and last updated Feb 17, 2016